"Does the sun renounce its kingdom
as the shadows fall?
Does a fool rejoice in wisdom
when the raven calls?
Do you embrace the dancing clayman
as he tears your flesh?
Do you hear the souls screaming
in the serpent's mesh?
Turn the lamp down low
Baby please don't go
Do you need the consolation,
of a dead man's hand?
As the tears of desolation
flood a dead man's land.
Do you seek your soul's redemption
under fervent skies?
Don't you see your own reflections
in the serpent's eye?
Turn the lamp down low
Baby please don't go..."

"Turn the Lamp Down Low" by The Tea Party

 

Pain 8

 

* * *

The guardian leapt down one alley. An ABC swept by the street behind him. Bob panted and grappled with his helmet until it popped off and he gulped in the relatively cool air. Frowning he kicked morosely at a trashcan. User, why had he come back here at all? What good could he do? The only thing worse for him to find would be nothing- no system and no address in place of a corrupted one. But was there anyone left? Were there still a few normal residents hiding out, resisting as best they could and left to the extremely dubious nature of Megabyte's mercy?

Bob pushed his web-thickened hair out of his face. If there were, if was his duty to help them. He cringed. That was if they'd have him after all that had happened. Did the system hate him or just accept his failure? What had actually gone on? He couldn't find out until he met someone non-infected, and so far he hadn't seen a single person without dull viral eyes and blue skin.

Swallowing, trying to keep the positive outlook which was one of the things he had saved in the Web, Bob went searching for friends.

* * *

Dot's boots scrapped along the ground.

This was it.

Megabyte was truly serious.

The doors out of the Principal Office loomed. She pushed them open.

He'd told her quite levelly and calmly, smiling all the while, where they'd last seen Bob, telling her that patrols were being set up so that he'd be corralled in a certain area to make finding him easier.

The guards flanking the doors stepped aside as she walked past and resumed their posts.

She'd been equipped with a gun and knife.

The doors slammed shut, metal ringing.

And after the torrents of rage, of hate, of dread, of wishing she could do something to wipe that smug little smile Megabyte had on his face, she'd been overcome by a quiet hopelessness. Dot wondered if the virus really knew what he was doing.

If he made her kill Bob, she was going to go insane.

* * *

The sprite made her way down to the lower levels. Another sprite darted through them searching for someone, anyone on his side. And the virus watched from above.

Megabyte's limousine hovered above the streets. Bob was by far a better physical brawler but the shock would slow the guardian and infection wouldn't give Dot a choice in the matter. But then he didn't really expect Ms. Matrix to try to shoot the guardian from afar or to tackle him for a one on one match. Megabyte chuckled softly to himself. No, seeing his *dear* friend, Bob would stop to talk to her. And Dot, trying to postpone the moment or warn Bob of her intentions, wouldn't kill him then. Not yet.

Megabyte gestured and the door of his limousine flipped up. He stepped out. The door closed and the limo whisked off to be called for when needed. The virus turned towards the sector where the two sprites were pursuing each other.

They'd talk and reunite and try to find a measure of comfort in seeing each other again, wouldn't they? He started walking towards the level. And he'd be there in the shadows as they chatted. To pick the best time to come out and calmly order Dot to take out her knife... And then, he thought clenching his fist in anticipation, he'd finally see an old enemy off and in a different way destroy the other. The virus smiled.

Life was good.

* * *

Things snapped under her boots. A light wind blew wrappers and dirt around making a soft rustling noise. It seemed darker than normal down here. Streetlights pocketed the level infrequently, if at all.

Dot felt sick.

How was she going to find him anyhow? It wasn't as if Bob would be flocking to meet everyone now that they were infected. And even if the guardian went to her, how would he *spot* her in the gloom? Dot continued walking, methodically checking down alleys. Her movements were purely mechanical by now as her mind turned the situation over and over in her head.

She *wouldn't* let Bob die. She'd see herself killed first. And if the virus saw her disobeying, she most likely *would* be but at least Bob would have a chance then. He could escape to the Supercomputer, get help for the city...

She cut through one alley then several more, thoughts taking her deeper into the level. The hums of patrolling ABC's drifted down the streets.

...although not from the authorities who'd nearly blown them up once. If a Webcreature was enough reason to destroy the system then viral takeover certainly was. But Bob seemed like a sprite who'd be popular. Surely he had friends there. He could rally some of them. And then they could-

Rounding a corner, she saw a figure shoot up from a sitting position and shift into a defensive stance. It was clad in bizarre, organic looking armor. Dot fought her panic at the sight and groped for a knife. She felt herself staring, trying to remember what was so familiar about it until she realized something.

The colors on the armor correspond exactly to a guardian's outfit.

She slowly let go of the weapon and straightened.

"Bob?"

* * *

Panic, fear, shock, awe...

Dot's impressions flickered through Megabyte's head like a kaleidoscope.

Yes. Time to move now.

* * *

"Dot?" The guardian croaked out.

Standing at the alley entrance, her face was dimly lit but he could see the uncertainty in it. Either over his identity or what he would do. Probably both. He took off his helmet and tried to think of something to say.

"Bob." Dot took a small step forward. "It's... good to see you."

"You too." He said. Dot gave him a small smile. He breathed out. She didn't hate him. After what had happened to the city she didn't seem to blame him for this. Bob hadn't realized how much he'd feared that until the tension left him. She had to be the most amazing sprite he'd ever met... Dot took another step forward. The guardian blinked then sucked in his breath as the lead in his stomach returned.

Her skin was blue. Not a *deep* blue but definitely tinted with cobalt. Teal. Which meant that Megabyte had-

"Oh... Dot." Bob said as he felt something in him clench.

Dot saw the spasm of guilt on his face and looked down at her hands. She realized how different she must look to him. Oh User... She moved her hands back. Dot felt her cheeks burn. Of all the people she'd never wanted to see her like this...

"I'm... it's..." She started.

"Dot... I'm so sorry." Bob whispered.

"It's okay. I've... still got my own mind. I can fight it."

"I never meant for-" Bob's voice was hoarse, whether with emotion or from a change from the Web, Dot couldn't say. "For me to be away for so long. Away at all." He tried to give her a smile but it wavered.

"I'm just on... guard duty. I won't be missed for a while." The lie hurt almost physically but she needed to talk to him. She couldn't very well tell him that she'd come to-

Dot clamped down on that thought.

"So." Bob said quietly. "What happened?"

For a moment, the shadows further back seemed to flicker as if there was movement in them.

"Hex had recharged the Energy Cannon and started firing. We would have all been deleted but Mouse redirected the shields..."

Dot told him their recent history. Edited of course.

"We held out for a while. We managed to keep a step ahead of him for a long time, until..."

Her voice cracked when she told him about Enzo and AndrAIa in the game. Bob winced as if struck. She pressed on, trying to get the whole story out in one go. She wasn't sure she could start again.

"...he took the collective PIDs after he gained access to the city-"

Far back in the alley entrance, someone smiled as Dot went on.

"...and now, here I am." The sprite concluded.

After Dot had finished, Bob's face seemed even wearier than before. His whole demeanor had an air of sadness about it. Hoping that he'd fared better, Dot gently asked "How did you get back?"

"It was tricky." Bob slumped against the wall a bit.

"Tell me about the Web."

So Bob told her. The Webriders, the creatures, the way he'd survived...

"I finally managed to scrounge up enough pieces of equipment by cannibalizing abandoned ships unlucky enough to be sucked into the Web. The portal code was old, but it worked. I went to the Supercomputer first." Bob turned his helmet over and over in his hands. He looked up and Dot flinched as she saw pain in his eyes. "Dot- they've all been infected."

"They- the _guardians_? ALL of them?"

"All of them. Completely. Except me."

Dot was silent. Bob continued. "I escaped but now I don't know if she's looking for me or not... I shouldn't really stay here long... Daemon might track me."

"Daemon?"

"The virus."

"Oh. How?"

"Through my PID. And..." Bob paused for a moment as if deliberating something then held it up for Dot to see.

"And through... this."

Tiny hairline cracks of yellow ran through. Dot's sucked her breath violently in.

"I stayed too long." Bob's voice was level, as if he'd dealt with the idea of being infected already. "I have time left and I can withstand it for a while so I came back before it got... worse."

Dot didn't know what to say, stood there offering silent support.

Megabyte watched. The guardian and Ms. Matrix were carrying on a conversation that, while he couldn't hear, seemed to be having a profound effect on them judging from the tones of their voices which were just audible. The link was as tightly wrapped up as he could make it. He didn't want Dot to realize he was there. Not yet.

"After that I tried a few other systems. All the ones with Net ports seemed to be infected. I went back to the Web with a few dozen password crackers. Finally one worked and I managed to come back." Bob shuddered. "It's becoming a different Net out there."

For a moment, his face seemed to age and Dot caught the haunted look in his eyes. Bob's life had consisted largely of believing in the duty to help others, in the good the guardians were doing in the Net. What was it like now that that had been knocked out from under him? Dot's heart twinged.

"I'll say..." her voice matched the world-weariness she felt. Bob's head snapped up at it and he crushed his fingers into his helmet.

"Dot... I- Dot, I'm sorry." His face collapsed. "I let everyone down. This is all my fault! I was supposed to be your guardian! And look what happened... To the city- to _you_- everyone-" his voice broke as he tried to explain the massive amount of guilt he felt. "I failed..."

Dot took his hand. "You tried." She said quietly. "You did your best. That's all we can do in the end. And I've always admired you for it." She paused and added "I still do."

Silence except for the humming of the ABC's.

"Dot?"

"Yes?"

"...thanks."

Bob doubted she'd ever know how much those words meant to him.

Dot merely smiled sadly and squeezed his hand. Then again, maybe she did.

The virus looked on, cheek slightly twitching. He'd have to wrap this up soon... they'd actually managed to derive comfort from each other's company. It was getting on his nerves...

"Bob?" She began. "You must have known that the system was... different when you arrived."

"Yes."

"Why did you stay?"

"I had to find out what happened. If there was anyone left. To see if you were here." He looked up and squeezed her hand back then let it go, suddenly self-conscious. Bob looked down for a moment.

"I kept on thinking about all of you in the Web. I think... it helped that there were people out there who still remembered me. It hurt but imagining Mainframe helped." He gazed at the opposite wall, for a moment in a different world. "Floating Point, Baudway, my apartment, the Diner..." he trailed off.

"I'm afraid it's a bit late for them." Dot commented after a few moments of silence.

"No. It's okay." Bob looked back up and smiled. "_You're_ here Dot, aren't you?"

Dot stared as the moment stretched out. He'd come back for her. He'd come back for the system and for duty and concern and but also for her.

"Bob-" she started then took his arm.

"Dot, I-" Bob took a step forwards.

Dot blinked, surprised to find her eyes tearing up. Not from sadness but from the simple joy of finding someone she cared about still in the world. She shook her head to clear them and leaned towards Bob.

They embraced.

Megabyte blinked.

The sprites stood in the alley, arms wrapped around each other.

They'd gone through wars and lost people dear to them. They'd seen things and taken wounds that'd changed them permanently. That couldn't ever go away.

But they could have this.

Dot felt at _peace_ for the first time since the Web had opened up above Mainframe. A wave of comfort went through her. Bob had come back. For her. He'd _cared_.

And no matter what the virus did, he could never take that away.

They hugged each other tighter.

Bob blinked as he heard the click of someone stepping into the alley entrance.

He looked up from their embrace.

"How _touching_."

The virus was about fifteen feet away from them. He took a few steps forward into the light then seemed satisfied with that and stopped. Megabyte made sure he had the guardian's full attention then smiled.

Bob felt Dot go stiff in his arms the deliberately start to slide her arms off him.

"Run." She murmured, looking down. "Please, Bob, run. Get away from here. I'll be all right." It was probably a lie but she had to say it.

Bob hesitated, most likely thinking of doing that and taking her with him.

"Dot," he muttered, still holding onto her. "I don't think I can hold out over Daemon's forces for too long. I'm really not in peak condition." He gave her a brave smile and said "If I had to make a last stand with anyone it'd be with you, Dot. Here in Mainframe."

She suddenly noticed his face was paler than she remembered it. Dot had attributed it to the Web but it could be fatigue instead. How long had he been trying to get back for? He was in no shape for a battle, whatever the cause.

"I'm _infected_!" Dot hissed urgently. "Bob, you need to get out of here! He'll make me-"

"So here you are. Ms. Matrix, Bob." The virus interupted his second in command. "It's been such a _long_ time, hasn't it, guardian? Do go on and tell me how you've been."

Bob gave the virus a narrow, cold look, refusing to rise to the bait. Megabyte obviously wanted to gloat.

"What, no words? But from that lengthy conversation I had the impression you'd such a lot to say! Well... no matter then." The virus sighed in mock regret. "I'd offer you a chance to join me but we both know what a waste of time that would be."

"I'LL say." Bob replied shortly then became silent again.

The virus briefly pondered using Dot as a barganing chip. Surrender his PID and Bob would at least get to be close to his beloved Ms. Matrix wouldn't he? Yes, that might work... and wouldn't it be far better to toy with Bob than to simply delete him and-

No.

He didn't feel like using Dot as a trading tool for some reason. Perhaps there was something just very _final_ about this confrontation. That was it. And speaking of Dot...

"We're agreed then." Megabyte's eyes narrowed. "Therefore I'm afraid I'm going to have to finish this quickly." For a moment the virus' voice hissed out involuntarily low and triumphant and he leaned forward. "How does it feel to come back to an infected System, guardian? Knowing all your loved ones are either deleted or my slaves? To see that you've LOST?"

Bob's eyes narrowed as he replied. "None of us are going to win here." he muttered. "The system is dying and you'll go with it. And as for deletion-" Bob looked the virus in the eyes. His mouth quirked into a slightly bitter smile as he said "You're going to have to catch me first."

"Oh," Megabyte replied steepling his fingers, "but I already have."

Bob looked puzzled. Dot tried to step back, her legs seemingly frozen.

"Dot?" the virus sounded bored. "I believe you know what to do."

Dot felt the world slowly start to drop away from her. Suddenly there was only the little circle of light that contained her, Bob, the virus and the constant WHINE of infection, rising up the scale in her ears, drowning out everything...

Bob's eyebrows went up as virus smirked.

Noises in her head, not noise but thousands of voices all tuned to one goal, one thing, one person...

"Kill him."

All directed into one command that she'd have to heed, infection pouring into her like a flood of static, feelings fleeing and draining away under the torrents and torrents of noise, the pressure of the virus like a lead weight in her head which was compleately open for him to enjoy the show as she threw the last of her life away...

"No."

All of a sudden there was silence.

Dot blinked and she could hear the real world again. The voice had sounded as clear as a bell. With a mild shock she realized it had been her own.

"...what...?" Megabyte almost whispered, not comprehending the unthinkable.

"No." Dot slumped to her knees under the pressure but threw her knife away. "You can make me do everything else... but you can't make me do this."

"_Dot_" Bob quickly knelt, taking her shoulders.

The virus seemed to be in shock for the moment, gaping. Bob looked at Dot's face. It shone wetly in the lighting but her smile came through.

"I'll be all right." She said. "I know that much." Her voice became intense

"Bob- if you _love_ me... run. Please run."

"I love you, Dot." Bob croaked.

"I love you too." She murmured.

Leaning forward, they kissed.

Megabyte made an enraged hissing sound, something very, primally viral.

The sprites broke off. "And since you love me..."

"I know." Bob got up and pulled out his zipboard. He looked at Dot helplessly, unable to tear himself away.

"Please _run_..."

Megabyte gave a loud roar that rattled several cans lying on the ground. Bob jumped onto the board then hesitated.

"I love you." Dot mouthed.

"I love you too." Bob mouthed back.

He took one last look and then was gone.

With a bound and a snarl. the virus went after him.

Home Back Next